Saturday, September 30, 2017

Canadian Poplar, Hybrid Black Poplar

Awesome!

     This tree can be a provider of food to both humans and livestock because of its protein-rich leaves! Wow, hey? That's awesome!

Check it out. In my book "Trees of Ontario" by Linda Kershaw (published by Lone Pine) on page 124, it says:

"This amazingly fast-growing tree can reach 47 m in height in 30 years. It is not suitable for city landscaping. Moisture-seeking roots often raise sidewalks and clog drainage pipes, and brittle branches litter the ground. Hybrids between cottonwood and the distinctly columnar European black poplar or Lombardy poplar (P. nigra) are widely cultivated. One of these, Carolina poplar (Populus x canadensis), is grown for wood and bark fibre (in plantations) and as a fast-growing shade tree. The protein-rich leaves of hybrid poplars are fed to chickens, sheep and cattle. The leaf concentrate contains as much protein as meat does but is faster and cheaper to produce. Eventually, poplars could provide food for both humans and livestock."

And here's a link to this site:

Populus x canadensis, commonly known as the Canadian Poplar or Hybrid Black Poplar, is a naturally occurring hybrid between Populus nigra and Populus deltoidea



I'm gonna take a bite out of that tree. I need my protein!
Trees of life for sure!

Hey! Another one! 
I just trimmed two branches off a Mulberry tree to plant indoors to keep my Mint plants upright. So I cut them thinking that I wanted them to grow, not knowing what type of tree it was until I looked it up on the internet and in my book. Hahaha. It has strange leaves. But yea, I stuck them in the deep pot and put some root grow with nutrients for the plants into the pot, and then I found out on Youtube that's exactly how to start up another tree!

Here's a link from Permaculture Plants: Mulberries

"I was able to visit carpet makers who were creating amazing works of art with the silk created from caterpillar who dined on the Mulberry leaves. Then I learned about using the fruit and leaves to feed livestock, and that the cooked leaves and stems can be eaten by humans as well. I think it is about time for Americans to rediscover this amazing tree!"






No comments:

Post a Comment